Chapter 6 Reading/Lecture Guide
For Next Class
1. Give examples of US unanimity after 9-11.
2. Describe US racial diversity.
3. Define public opinion.
6. Weaknesses of census?
7. Describe first wave of immigration?
10. Political view of Miami Cubans?
11. How have immigrants fostered individualism?
12. Melting Pot
13. Minority Majority.
14. Describe Black Economic status?
15. Describe change in black political involvement?
16. Largest ethnic minority?
17. Describe status of Recent asian immigrants?
18. Which ethnic minority is in the worst position?
19. Describe the regional shift of population with time?
20. What is reapportionment?
21. What does ‘the graying of America mean?
22. What does graying of America mean for social security?
23. What is political socialization?
24. Sources of Informal socialization?
25. Describe relationship between parent’s political party affiliation and that of child?
26. What is the ‘new parent?’
27. Who watches TV news?
28. School as a political socialization agent?
29. Relationship between education and voting?
30. Describe relationship between aging and party attachment?
31. Who invented public opinion polling?
32. What is a sample? How large must it be?
33. Def. random sampling?
34. Sampling error?
35. Great example of polling error:
36. Random digit dialing?
37. Roll of Polls in American Democracy?
38. Criticism of polling?
39. Are polls really used to determine policy?
40. What is an exit poll?
41. Give an example of how wording affects outcome?
42. describe the different opinions Jefferson and Hamilton had about the ‘people’
43. Provide specific evidence of public knowledge about politics.
44. Demonstrate (w/ regard to George Bush (41)) how the media focuses on trivia, not substance.
45. What does it mean to say people lack cultural literacy?
46. What is the ‘paradox of politics’
47. Explain trends in ‘trust’ of governement.
48. Define political ideology.
49. Age and political ideology. Discuss
50. What is the role of enfranchisement and liberalization of policy?
51. What is the gender gap?
52. What is an ideologue?
53. What is a group benefit voter?
54. What are nature of the times voters?
55. What are no issue content groups.
56. List 5 ways Americans participate in politics?
57. Define political participation?
58. Define democracy?
59. Define protest?
60. Define civil disobedience?
61. Explain conventional participation?
62. Define unconventional participation?
63. Relate social0economic statue and participation