1. Paradox about lobbying?
2. Def. interest groups.
3. Def. Pluralist theory
4. Define elite theory
5. Define Hyperpluralist theory
6. Explain what pluralist theorists offer as a Group theory of politics?
7. How do elite theorists criticize pluralism
8. Discuss ‘corporatization’
9. Summarize elitist view (bullets).
10. Discuss / summarize Figure 11.1
11. Define subgovernment
12. Define iron triangle.
13. Who is Theodore Lowi
14. What Is Hyperpluralism
15. Summarize the Hyperpluralist position on group politics;
16. What factors affect the power of an interest group.
17. Why are large groups often ineffective.
18. Review Table 11.1
19. Define Potential group
20. Define actual group
21. Define collective good
22. Define free-rider problem
23. Define Olson’s law of large groups.
24. Define selective benefits.
25. Why is aarp so powerful?
26. Define single interest group.
27. What is a major indictment of the American interest group?
28. Explain the political cartoon on p. 333. P.331 in old book.
29. Disuss increase in interest groups. (page 11.3)
30. Reasons for explosion in number of interest groups
31. Define Lobbying
32. 2 types of lobbyists
33. How are lobbyists beneficial
34. Effectiveness of lobbying?
35. Why is it difficult to nail down the effectiveness of lobbyists?
36. What is electionerring?
37. What is a PAC?
38. How much PAC money to house incumbents in 1999-00/
39. How does litigation help an interest group?
40. What is an amicus curiae brief?
41. What is Regents of the UC v. Bakke?
42. What is a class action lawsuit?
43. How do interest groups market their reputation (ex).
44. List 4 important clusters of interest groups.
45. Def union shop
46. Define right to work law.
47. What is the largest interest group? 2nd largest?
48. Role of business in interest groups?
49. Goals of environmental groups? Their opponents?
50. Equality interests
51. Def. NAACP.
52. Brown v. board
53. Def. NOW.
54. Def ERA
55. PHillis Schlafly
56. De. Public interest Lobby
57. Ralph Nader
58. Which political theory would Madison adhere to?
59. Elite theory and PACS?
60. Hyperpluralists and PACS?
61. Interest groups and scope of government? Give examples.