Due By monday, 9/26/11
Listening Guide for "The Giant Pool of Money"
2 points EXTRA CREDIT if your parent/guardian listens with, and signs a note saying that you have had at the very least, some form of discussion about this event. Parents, I encourage you to drag this conversation out as long as possible, grill your students endlessly, about the details, etc. Or just enjoy it.
Even a POOR job of using this listening guide is superior to just listening to the show. Here is the link to the giant pool of money.
Here is the BEST way to use this guide. Copy it, and print it double spaced. Read it. It won't make full sense, but it will prime you to be ready for the listening. Note that I have time stamped enough of the questions. Click the streaming guide, and a small window will open and play. Simply listen, and note the time on the streaming guide. When you get to a new 'time stamp' listen a little closer, and try to answer a couple questions. When you get to the next time stamp, pause, try to fill in a couple of the questions you missed, read the next few, and proceed. I'm really not concerned if you don't get them all. I don't need you going back and forth trying to find the missing answers, just do the best you can.
The program is 1 hour long. If you can finish the assignment in 1:15, I think that's a good use of your time. I hope you find it informative. If you can talk your parents into listening to the assignment, and collectively write a little blurb, I'll give you 2 extra credit points (that's not much, but hopefully it's worth having your folks write me a one line email, and I hope it doesn't make it unfair to those folks who don't want to sit in front of the computer for an hour).
THE MAIN THING IS TO LISTEN, AND NOT SWEAT IT. DON'T WORRY IF YOU DON'T GET ONE LITTLE QUESTION. BUT THIS IS NOT THE SAME THING AS PRESSING PLAY AND THEN FACEBOOKING, PLAYING MUSIC, AND WATCHING JERSEY SHORE. GIVE YOUR FULL ATTENTION TO THE PROGRAM FOR 1 HOUR.
The Giant Pool Of Money.
1. The Giant Pool Of Money.
2. What is a ‘sub prime crisis’
3. What is a NINA loan? And what happened to Clarence?
4. (6:20)What are the two versions of the story of loans?
5. Define Imprudent Partnership?
6. (8:30)What is the Global Pool of Money?
7. How big?
8. What happened do the pool right around 2000-2006
10. (12:00)How did Alan Greenspan affect investment of the GPM. (Giant Pool of money)
11. (13:45)Why were mortgage loans so attractive
12. What is the chain
13. What is a mortgage backed security.
14. (16:20)Largest Private Mortgage bank in Nevada: Mike Garner: What was his job.
15. What kind of mortgages did he start buying: What happened in 2003
16. Stated Income, Verified Asset. What and why is it.
17. How do you verify the Stated Income?
20. Why didn’t anyone care about the risk?
21. What happened to house prices, and what was the flaw.
22. (23:00)How much was Glen making:
23. What was he doing.
24. How did he live.
25. How did he make his money.
26. Who designed the computer models, and what was the view.
27. What are possible forclosure rates vs. projections.
28. (29:50)What turned the problem into a Crisis
29. Were CDO’s safe
30. What is the issue of seeing homes as an investment?
31. What happened to income from 2000-2007
32. (35:10)What do we mean by speculative bubble.
33. (39:13)What does it mean to be a highly leveraged bank
34. So what happened to silverstate mortgage.
35. (45:25)What about Richard, the former marine?
36. What about the music: do you like it?
37. (47:15)What was his stated income on his original loan and what was he really making.
38. Why did the mortgage broker falsify info.
39. Was there fraud.
40. (49:45)Who owns the loan?
41. How many individual loans was one office running
42. (51:30) How does the IT guy see lives…
43. What is the value of AAA mortgage back CDO’s worth
44. What is a AAA ranking
45. (54:30) What happened to the Global pool of money.
46. What is the goal of the GPM now.
48. Can Iceland get loans? Explain?
49. Effect on Student lending.
50. Effect on bankruptcy?
51. (56:43) What decade do ‘they’ think it will be like